Monday, November 19, 2012

What a Delicious Mistake!

During my endeavor to create the Spanish Potato and Spinach Tortilla recipe from this months Cooking Light magazine, I quickly realized it was going to be a bust.
I knew from the beginning that I didn't quite have all of the necessary ingredients, but I thought I would improvise. I had purple sweet potatoes, not red skinned white potatoes; parsley, not spinach; and I wasn't planning to make the accompanying red pepper sauce either. Oh, and I added tomato. Not to make excuses, but I was also trying to multi-task; which, I'm usually pretty good at, however, prepping hummus and butternut squash soup all while cooking this tortilla was just a bad idea for the sake of properly executing this recipe.

To my surprise, this bad idea turned great when I finally accepted the fact that it wouldn't turn out like the picture in the magazine. It is what it is, I told myself.

Rather than a skillet fried potato and egg tortilla, I ended up with a cheesy, colorful, egg-a-licious breakfast casserole.

Baked Potato and Egg Hash
(Serves 6-8) 

1 medium potato (purple sweet, orange sweet, 6 red boilers, or idaho), sliced 1/8 inch thick and boiled just until soft but still with bite
9 eggs, scrambled
1 medium tomato, sliced
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup scallion, chopped
1/4 cup shredded cheese (sharp white cheddar)
salt and pepper   

Preheat oven to 350.

Drain boiled potatoes and spread into bottom of lightly oiled baking dish. Layer in tomatoes. 

Scramble eggs and season with salt and pepper. Add scallions to eggs and pour mixture over potatoes and tomatoes. Top with parsley and cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs appear thoroughly cooked and cheese is melted. 


These colors are just beautiful. Others would disagree, I'm sure, but even if it didn't please the palate I would be content with the way it looks!


The great thing about breakfast egg casseroles is that you can throw anything into them...

Spinach and mushrooms with manchego cheese
Asparagus and gruyere
Kalamata olives, kale and feta
Swiss chard and goat cheese...

What other ingredients would you throw into this?