Wednesday, September 5, 2012

End of the Summer Gazpacho


I know, it's September. I kind of missed the boat on making this one...but it still feels like summer here in Florida so I figured it's fair game. 

Gazpacho. A refreshing tomato based soup of Spanish origin, traditionally served cold and eaten during the summer. I sifted through several recipes online and decided to take what I liked from each one to make this one. Because the ingredients are so minimal and simplistic, quality is very important here. Of course the produce would be freshest at the beginning of the season, but I was quite content with what I had available. I can just hear my mom now..."I bet you wish you had our Michigan grown tomatoes; those Florida ones aren't nearly as delicious!" 

And she's right. As usual.

Gazpacho

(All veg is to be chopped)
3 large tomatoes
1 english cucumber
1 medium red onion
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 slices crusty bread, torn
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients (including salt and pepper) to a large bowl and mash together - I find that your hands work best :).
Chill for 1 hour.
Remove from refrigerator and puree in a blender or food processor, and chill again overnight or for at least 6 hours before serving. 

Top off with quick homemade croutons:
Cut 1 slice of crusty bread into bite size pieces and saute in olive oil (1/2 Tbsp) over medium heat until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. I also added a little bit of sunflower sprouts to add some green, but avocado would also be tasty I think. 


It's amazing how such simple ingredients can create such great flavor. I hope you enjoy!